There are some Facebook status updates you want to dislike; others make you want to punch the person for being so damn annoying. Now, having an annoying Facebook status doesn’t necessarily mean the person is annoying, it is easy to join the annoying status group from just one drunken status update, or when you’re highly emotional with a keyboard and an internet connection. Sharing depressing poetry, or even worse hackneyed expressions really do my head in.
Here are some of the Facebook updates I find particularly annoying so avoiding typing them at all cost!
1. The spoiler updates: “OMG, I just watched ____, I can’t believe ____ gets killed off!”
These are hands down the most annoying updates. You record your favourite TV show to watch later when you get back from work, only to have the ending revealed by an overzealous Facebook friend that just had to. If you live in a different time zone to some of your friends you could fall victim to this type of update, best way to avoid this is to avoid Facebook until you watch the movie or TV-show. For example I didn’t look at any Facebook statuses till I watched the Dark Knight Rises; I was certain some a-hole will ruin it and it turns out there was.
2. Relationship venting updates: “And if he can’t learn to love you, you should leave him- Tupac” “Once a cheater always a cheater”
Someone is better about a relationship going sour but can’t help but post something about it, but posting something about it will be to obvious so they go for a related quote which is usually trite and annoying.
3. The Marylyn Monroe quote: “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
You would think people know better than to take relationship advice from someone that was married three times and had numerous affairs, but it’s had to go a week without someone sharing this quote. Sure, she is an iconic model and actress but she is not Dr Phil.
4. The Gym updates + pictures: “I am going to kill it in the gym today!”
The gym updates are particularly annoying when pictures follow it up. If you just lost a 100 pounds that is Facebook update worthy but a daily gym update is too much.
5. The unnecessary updates: “I’m brushing my teeth now…” “About to eat breakfast” “getting ready for work” “going for a jog”
An occasional update of this type is okay but a constant flow of it is very annoying.
6. The tweet integrated update: “@golpeed I love that episode too! glad to see you like the show”
Facebook allows twitter integration so some people end up posting his or her twitter conversations that will make no sense to all your friends seeing it.
7. Depressing updates: “I want to die” “I wish someone will kill me” “it’s better to burn out than to fade away-Kurt Cobain”
8. The club promoter updates: “Free drinks at 11.pm only in ___” “I’ve got 10 tickets to ___ message me if you’re interested”
These are particularly annoying because of the frequency of the updates, and then they go a step further and send messages and invites.