There will come a time when you have to decide to slay Paarthurnax or let him live. So to kill or not to kill?, there are advantages and disadvantages for both. Choose wisely or at least read your options there are consequences whether you do something or not.
What Happens If Paarthurnax Lives?
- The quest will never disappear from the journal.
- Arngeir will still disclose the location of Word Walls.
- Paarthurnax will still provide meditation bonuses for Shout words.
- Paarthurnax will appear for an extra cutscene after Alduin’s defeat, wherein he details his plans to rein in the Dragons and teach them to live under the Way of the Voice.
- If you have not brought three people to the Blades already, Delphine’s recruitment quest will remain uncompleted.
- Esbern will not offer to create the potion.
What Happens If Parrthurnax Dies?
- Arngeir retracts the Greybeard’s hospitality, and it is no longer possible to ask him for the locations of Word Walls.
- Paarthurnax will no longer be around to provide meditation bonuses to certain Shouts.
- The Blades will welcome you once again, enabling the completion of Delphine’s recruitment quest.
- Esbern will offer to take bones and scales in order to create a potion which grants a permanent perk for 25% melee damage reduction from Dragons (currently, however, the potion is bugged and does nothing – see Dragon Research bug section for solution).
- The Greybeards will not host a peace treaty, making the Civil War questline mandatory to complete in order to proceed with the Main Quest (if Season Unending has not been completed and the Civil War questline has not already been completed).
I choose to let him live, Angier helping you find the locations of the dragon shouts is invaluable if you ask me.The big disadvantage for letting Parrthurnax live is that you wouldn’t be able to go Dragon hunting with the blades. You can however complete this before you take on the mission but you wouldn’t be here if that’s the case.
Find all the dragon shouts with the help of the greybeards, then get the meditation bonuses from Parrthurnax before you kill him if that is what you decide to do. Just remember he did help you kill Alduin so it is really just to slay him?
He will show up later in the game if you let him live, I won’t say where because it will be a spoiler.
Joining the blades isn’t as cool as it sounds, they have no members left really. So you have to do all the work to find people to recruit to the Blades, I would rather keep the Greybeards as allies than the non-existent blades.
Letting Parrthurnax live and there is always one dragon left that has not been slayed. After all isn’t it your destiny to slay all dragons?Should he pay for his crimes when he was with Alduin.
The perks he gives you improves your shouts ability, three of them.
The Greybeards argue that at the time, all dragons were under Alduin so can Parrthurnax really be held accountable for what he did?
Whatever it was he has certainly changed now, since he is helping the Dragonborn, it depends if you are a man of honour or not.
For the help he has given I say let him live but it is completely your choice to kill him or not.
Well, that’s the end of my rant. I check a lot of forum discussions and most people say not to kill him.
You can always save the game and try out both options to see which end you would rather follow, either way you lose something, it just depends on what you are willing to lose.